The state of Arizona allows tax credits for donations made to specific organizations. These donations offset your AZ state tax liability dollar for dollar, so they don’t end up costing you a penny.
For those tax payers that itemize their deductions on their federal return, these donations can also be used in the federal return which lower your total tax liability by more than your donation. That means you end up making money!
There are currently 4 state tax credits available to individuals:
Click on each tax credit for a list of qualifying organizations that accept these donations
- $400 max donation ($800 Married Filing Jointly)
- Must be made in the calendar tax year- Formerly known as the Working Poor Credit
- $500 max donation ($1,000 Married Filing Jointly)
- Must be made in the calendar tax year
- $200 max donation ($400 Married Filing Jointly)
- Must be made before the tax return is filed (by April 15th of the following year)
- Must designate an after school activity
- $545 max donation ($1,090 Married Filing Jointly) – Original Credit
- $542 max donation ($1,083 Married Filing Jointly) – Switcher Credit
- Full Original Credit must be claimed to be eligible to claim Switcher Credit
- Must be made before tax return is filed (by April 15th of the following year)
- Donation must be a general donation and cannot benefit one specific individual
**For each credit, the taxpayer must specify that the donation is for the AZ State Tax Credit.
Contact us for further clarification, or to see if making these contributions are beneficial to you!